Last January I decided to write out goals for the year. I had 13 things I wanted to do. I don’t really like resolutions, but I guess goals are a resolve to do things so…
I fulfilled so many of these on the list and that makes me feel really good.
- I took a class from a local photographer, Jeff Ross.
- I ran the RTO, which was only one race but holy hanana-banana
- I did swim in Donner, but only once, but we spent the entire day there and it was SO good.
- We fulfilled our camping quote and had so many great adventures! Santa Cruz (twice), Half Moon Bay, Smith Creek Playa, Morro Bay, and the kids and I went Cabin Camping at Steep Ravine. Also, I am not sure that you could call what we did this year camping, it was more like “Glamping” with Pop-up Penny!
- Although the application process isn’t traditional, I worked with three new photographers, partnered with two local blogs, photographed for several local businesses as well as families, and I wrote up my first major proposal for a photography gig.
- The strangers challenge wasn’t exactly what I thought it would be. I had more of a street photography idea when I wrote this out, but I fulfilled this and then some. I photographed several business owners and artists in Midtown Reno (see my images and interviews here), during weddings I captured so many faces and moments that I can’t even count them all, and while documenting the various events around town I was forced to get over my shyness and hit the shutter button. I found out a little about myself during this process. I always am a nervous wreck before I start. It takes me a few shots to get warmed up and over myself and then I get in the zone and am a snapping machine.
- Not sure if I did this completely, but we sure did cook and bake a lot this year. And the kids have started to BEG me to let them help out, which is a hoot (and a tad bit of a PITA) but I will take it since I want them to be kitchen kids!
- I may have failed at the book reading- I did finish the Hunger Games trilogy and LOVED it!
- I know I did a lot of painting with my girl, Fifi and I made this a regular activity during the week.
- I don’t know if I spent time alone or not. I know I feel a lot less claustrophobic then I did last January and a lot more ‘me’. So that’s a good thing.
- I shot a ton of film. The majority of it was with my two Polaroid Land Cameras, but I also messed with my range finders and Minolta a bit too. Oh and I can’t forget about the Indisposable Concept! The most exciting film news? Three of my film photographs are in print. I can’t wait to get my copy of the NSEW book.
- We really worked on making time for each other this year. Date nights were sometimes quiet nights at home without the kids, other evenings included a couple of friends and a few drinks. Making time for our marriage was and is important.
Last year I choose the word, “Shine” as my year long mantra.I truly feel like I did just that- I stepped outside of my comfort zone artistically, I pushed myself to ask and the majority of the time it was a yes and not a no. I wrote, photographed, networked and have made so many new friends along the way. I feel the light inside and out.